Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Super mom fights nature AND the sock monster!!

The room of mismatched socks!!
2 birds = 5 eggs!!

This week I have discovered yet another weakness in my super powers, I can't fight the ways of wild birds and I can't get rid of the sock monster that lives somewhere in my house. For the past couple of years we have had some pesky starling birds that thought our BBQ is the best place for a nest. Last year I kept taking out the nest making materials hoping the birds would just give up, and they eventually did. This year I have not been on top of my game and 5 little eggs are the result. I do have to admit it is fun to see the nest grow and see a new egg every morning. But so much for barbecuing this spring!
About this sock monster....the top picture is my front room covered with mismatched socks. I spent 2 days trying to find mates and make all the socks happy. As you can see supermom failed. How does this happen? Where do they go? I thought black holes were only in space. If anyone can solve this mystery or knows how to get rid of the sock monster, please let me in on the secret. As you can see we have way too many "spinster" socks:)

7 comments:

Amber said...

The starlings would try to do that in our grill every spring too. They are persistant birds. Then we got a cover for the grill. :) As for the socks. Yep. I know where you're comin' from. HORRAY for sandal season!!!

Ryan said...

You crack me up! I loved spending time with you yesterday and my mom said she was very happy to see you. We love you!

michaelangelo said...

I have a solution to your bird problem - PLANT SOME TREES IN YOUR STATE! :) You desert people just don't know what birds want...

Alana Lange said...

she was a show girl, with yellow feathers in her hair.... Oh sorry I was overcome with Barry and forgot what I was doing :) The kids love the nest. Let's combine socks maybe we'll find som matches!

Kelly said...

Kayden hates wearing socks! He takes them off and throws them in the hole behind the sectional downstairs. Every week when I do laundry I check there first and usually find a few socks- still there are some missing. I've found them in the toy box too.

Andrew and Annalise Lange said...

At least they aren't pigeons. We have a ton of them here in AZ and they're disgusting.

Thanks for the birthday wishes. I know we have forgotten multiple birthdays. I think it's about time to update the birthday calendar. :)

Kemp Family said...

Well that's an interesting delemma with the starlings. We have to be careful about wasps building nests in our Bar-b-Que, not too big of an ethical problem for us. We just burn them. As for the sock problem there are a couple of suggestions (which sound good in theory, but I can't seem to keep to it). When I worked at a Nursing home we had a couple of residents family keep safety pins by the clothes hamper, so after the socks were taken off they could be safety pinned together ( that worked there, but seriously, I don't think I'd have the patience to keep up with that). Another one, which has worked fairly well for me, is to buy the same socks everytime, so that if some go missing, you don't notice until the number of socks start to dwindle. Hope that might help some. Not to say that keeps the sock monsters away.