Monday, January 19, 2009

Sing like angel....Dance like a superstar!

As I was searching for pictures of my family dancing, amazingly enough this picture came up :) Ok, not really. Our family was not blessed with the dancing jeans, but we have fun. I didn't really think we were a silly family until my neighbor was telling me how my kids behaved at her house when music came on. She was laughing so hard it took her a few minutes to collect herself. She described my kids "spazing" out, only we don't call it spazing, we call it dancing. I think the boys were offended when she asked what they were doing. The story got even better when she told me Mitchial started singing. What can I say, I teach them early.
Some of my fondest memories are of my Mom and Dad listening to music. They loved music, therefore I love music. I was raised listening to Barry Manilow, Neil Diamond, Barbara, Johnny Cash, Elvis, the Carpenters and of course the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I grew to love all but the Mo Tab. One summer my Mom played the 4th of July Mo Tab tape over and over and over. I am sure the neighbors knew it by heart just like us kids. That summer we didn't invite our friends over much:)
In high school my Dad could be heard in the halls surrounding his class room. He loved to sing and even dance while he taught. It didn't matter what was happening in my life, whenever I heard my Dad singing, it made things seem alright. I remember sitting on his lap while he drove listening to old 8 tracks. Whenever he got to the melody he would squeeze me tight. Good times!
So, I am following my parents and surrounding my kids with "good" music. My music. My parents music. They already know the words of almost all the songs I put on my playlist. I know my brothers are going to give me a hard time, but I post them proudly. :)

4 comments:

michaelangelo said...

I'll have to reserve my comments knowing your sweet children are being subjected to Barry Manilow and Neil Diamond music on a regular basis.

Jeff, Wendy, and Austin said...

I got an excellent picture of your kids dancing...especially Timmy. I remember that horror of that summer of 4th of July Mo Tab. Yikes. Ps I finally got into the blogging...TheFoxSantuary

Kemp Family said...

That's awesome that you have such great memories in music. I'm sure that your kids will also take that with them. Reading this I envy you. Though I did have some good memories as a child it was nothing like that. I think I'll try to be a little more like that with my kids. Thanks for sharing.

HJ said...

we ought to have a dance off with our kids. I really don't know who would win.